Family Law FAQs

Divorce and other family law issues can be emotionally trying. You undoubtedly will have many questions regarding how to move forward with your life. The attorneys at the law firm of Costigan & Wollrab, P.C., are here to help. Below are some of the frequently asked questions we encounter in the area of family law. It is important to keep in mind that everyone’s situation is unique, and nothing can replace the advice that you receive from a lawyer one-on-one. To schedule a consultation at our law offices in Bloomington, call 309-808-6067.

My divorce is amicable. Is an attorney really necessary?

Even if you and your soon to be ex-spouse are able to reach an agreement on all of the major issues surrounding your divorce, it is still highly recommended that you seek legal counsel who can help guide you through the legal process and ensure that all necessary paperwork is properly filed. This can help ensure that an oversight or clerical error does not come back to haunt you. In addition, emotional flare-ups can arise at any time. Having a person with the skill and experience to help calm things down can prevent things from suddenly spiraling out of control.

My ex has stopped making child support payments. What can I do?

If your ex is not making child support payments or is underpaying the court-ordered amount, you can work with an attorney to seek an enforcement action. The court may order a wage garnishment or even hold your ex in contempt of court if he or she is not following the law.

Can I change the terms of my divorce decree?

Once divorce papers have been filed and approved by the court, certain terms, such as a property division agreement, are usually set in stone. However, some terms may be modified, usually those involving child support and/or child custody.

If a parent experiences a substantial change in circumstances, such as a job loss, it may be necessary to modify an order for child support to reflect this new situation. If a parent wishes to move out of state or relocate a significant distance away, it may be necessary to modify the terms of a child custody agreement. In either case, court approval is a must. Deciding on your own that you are going to change the terms of a divorce agreement will only complicate your life down the road.

Contact Us For Answers To Your Family Law Questions

We are here to answer all of your family law questions. To schedule an initial consultation, call us at 309-808-6067 or contact us online.